Manager, Research Centre for Women’s and Infants’ Health BioBank
Research Centre for Women’s and Infants’ Health BioBank
Temporary Full time (12 Months)
HOURS OF WORK
37.5 hours per week (Monday – Friday)
Dr. S. Lee Adamson, Director, Research Centre for Women’s and Infants’ Health BioBank
(Internal or External)
Internal and External
The Research Centre for Women’s and Infants’ Health (RCWIH) at the Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute (http://biobank.lunenfeld.ca) is an internationally recognized research centre pursuing innovative research in reproductive biology, pregnancy, birth, and umbilical cord stem cells. It is closely integrated with the cutting-edge clinical programs of Mount Sinai Hospital, a regional centre and world leader specializing in the care of high-risk pregnancies.
The RCWIH is seeking a highly motivated, organized and detail-oriented individual with excellent communication skills who is comfortable working in a healthcare setting. As BioBank Manager the successful applicant must have a demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a team, to manage daily operations, oversee data and specimen accuracy, and liaise with researchers and clinical staff.
The successful applicant will require effective time management skills with the ability to work in a fast paced, flexible and diverse environment.
As the Manager with the RCWIH BioBank Program, the successful applicant will be directed by, and report to, the BioBank Director and the BioBank Governance Committee.
· Maintain Research Ethics Board approval and ensure program staff adhere to highest standards of ethics and quality to meet needs of patients and investigators
· Study participant recruitment involving screening of prospective participant charts and electronic medical records, provision of written informed consent, participant monitoring and tracking from consent to delivery, and consult with and inform clinical care staff of anticipated sample collections and ensure collegial interactions
· Collect and process (i.e. PFA-fix, snap freeze) placentas and/or other tissue or blood samples in accordance with the RCWIH BioBank Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
· Develop and maintain SOPs that ensure appropriate processing and storage of samples in accord with investigators’ requirements when special collections are approved by the BioBank
· Oversee program finances and supply purchasing
· Generate invoices and monitor client payment tracking
· Review and update BioBank cost recovery structure as needed, in consultation with the BioBank Director and Governance Committee.
· Consult with investigators regarding REB documentation, study requirements, sample requests and availability, as well as prepare letters of supports and formal quotes based on the BioBank cost recovery schedule
· New user recruitment, and preparation and distribution of advertising materials
· Perform database queries using investigator inclusion/exclusion criteria to select appropriate archived samples for their requests
· Coordinate the retrieval and distribution of research materials as required
· Arrange weekly fresh sample requests by coordinating BioBank staff and ensuring prompt notification of BioBank users and investigators regarding availability of samples
· Collect clinical data from patient charts, enter data, and ensure data and specimen archive accuracy
· Oversee prompt and complete data collection and entry; maintain sample status in database
· Oversee other BioBank staff, provide coverage for staff vacation/sick days, and coordinate night and weekend on-call coverage to ensure collection of high priority samples
· On occasion this position may include providing on-call support to BioBank part-time staff
· Monitor and maintain BioBank equipment and materials
· Prepare annual reports for presentation to the BioBank Director and Governance Committee
Required Education and skills:
Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Health Sciences, Medical Sciences, Life Sciences or Physiology (Master’s degree preferred).
· Communication skills (verbal and written)
· Strong organizational skills
· Ability to prioritize tasks and deadlines
· Ability to problem solve
· Self-motivated and able to work independently to complete the collective goals of the team
· Good judgment and decision-making
· Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite, experience with Access preferred
· Comfortable working with human tissues and basic surgical instruments
· Signature and adherence to the Mount Sinai Hospital Confidentiality Agreement
· Research/laboratory experience and technical laboratory skills
· Familiarity with and/or interest in obstetrics (preferred)
· Previous work experience in a healthcare and/or clinical setting
· Previous experience interacting with study participants/patients
If you are interested in this position please send your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com to Dr. S. Lee Adamson, Director of the RCWIH BioBank Program.